Tuesday, December 19, 2006

I have filed to run for Commissioner

Yesterday I filed my statement of economic interests, nominating petitions and statement of candidacy to run for commissioner in Forest Park.

In the morning I sought signatures on the Blue Line platform. Most people were not Forest Park residents and many of the Forest Park residents declined to sign my petitions. Politicians learn to take a certain amount of rejection.

One father talked to me about "Proviso"--I quickly learned he meant the high school. He was happy with Forest Park government, but was concerned about District 209. He liked Proviso Math and Science Academy and hoped to send his daughter there in a couple years.

Another woman recognized me because she had seen me speak about Rep. Karen Yarbrough's impeachment resolution. She called me one of her "heroes" which was kinda cool/weird. (It sorta reminded me of Jeff Kim, one of my Navy roommates, taking notes on an offhand remark I made about management and then posting it above his desk.) However, this Forest Park resident declined to sign my nominating petition because she isn't registered to vote. She explained with some pride that she was a street organizer and implied she didn't sully herself with electoral politics by voting.

Later in the day I met a nice couple on the 500 block of Thomas. When he read on my literature I had been a UN peacekeeper he wanted to talk about developing world issues. He grew up in Nigeria.

I was the last candidate to file. The only other candidates I recall meeting were Jerry Webster and Mark Hosty, so I look forward to meeting the rest of the field.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home